Nothing beats Mexican food in my house…and I've found when you're making different kinds of tacos or fajitas (at home at least) you can go really healthy and really clean, which makes you feel like you're cheating on your clean eating diet! ;)
When I first saw this recipe posted (thank you Melanie Mitro for this amazing recipe!) I knew my family would LOVE this! So, I put in on my meal plan for later in the week…and couldn't even wait until Wednesday…had to make it right away! (fortunately my pork loin came in a 2 pack!)
- 3 lbs Pork Loin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cup of water
Making the Rub:
- 2 TBSP of chili powder
- 2 tsp of cumin
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- Mix all spices together except the bay leaf in a bowl.
- Rub down the entire pork loin with spices and place in a slow cooker.
- Add the bay leaf and water and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Keep an eye of the pork to make sure the water doesn't absorb and the pork dry out. (If you need to add more liquid, do so!)
- Pork should pull apart easily to shred it.
Once you can shred it easily, take it from the crock pot, shred and then place back into the crock pot. Stir meat and coat with juices.
21 Day Fix followers:
Fill a red container with this meat to portion out properly.
Ingredients for the Carnitas:
- Corn tortillas
- Black or Pinto Beans (canned)
- Romain lettuce
- Diced Tomatoes
- Diced Avocado
- Shredded cheese
Cilantro Lime Topping (this is to topping on the cake…don't skip this part!!)
- Greek yogurt (1/2 to 1 cup depending on how thick you want it)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 lime cut into wedges for garnish
Combine all ingredients in a bowl for the dressing and set aside.
Add the drained beans with 1/2 cup of water to a pot on the stove over medium heat. Cook until heated through. Gently mash with a fork until they reached desired consistency.
Lightly spray your corn tortillas with cooking spray and place on a foil lined baking sheet.
Crisp in the oven on 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes until desired crispiness.
NEXT STEP: Assemble the good stuff!
Take a crisp corn tortilla and add the fixings to make a delicious carnitas.
Add a dollop of the cilantro lime topping and dig in!!
21 Day Fix Followers:
Containers needed for this recipe: Red, yellow, green, blue…measure and enjoy!
- Yellow - beans and tortilla
- Blue - Cheese
- Green - Tomatoes and lettuce
- Red - Pork
To find more recipes for 21 Day Fix Click HERE!