My family LOVES breakfast and especially if it's a "special breakfast"...meaning not the typical everyday cereal. I can't wait to make this Blueberry French Toast Bake myself. I had it recently when I was away on a girl's weekend. It is simply delicious!
(Makes about 12 servings)
- 6 cups cubed, whole grain bread
- 8 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup honey (or maple syrup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the egg whites, almond milk, honey, extracts and cinnamon. Whisk well.
- Oil a baking dish (about 9 x 13), and fill it with the bread.
- Pour the liquid mixture over the bread and allow it to sit for at least 30 minutes, mixing once or twice to be sure all parts of the bread are moistened.
- Mix in the blueberries.
- Bake the casserole at 350 F. for about 45 minutes or until there is no longer any liquid between the bread.
- Allow to cool a bit and serve.
(Data is for 1/12th the recipe – approximately 1 cup)
NOTE: This data can vary widely based on bread used.
Total Fat: 2 gm
Saturated Fats: 0 gm
Trans Fats: 0 gm
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 205 mg
Carbohydrates: 22 gm
Dietary fiber: 3 gm
Sugars: 8 gm
Protein: 7 gm
Estimated Glycemic Load: 11