So, here it is…I can't wait to make it in a few days!! I will be doubling the recipe.
"Clean" Thanksgiving Sweet Potato Casserole
(Makes 8 small servings)
1 cup pecan pieces
1/4 cup raw honey
1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 tablespoon safflower oil
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (or more!)
3 pounds sweet potatoes
1/2 cup clean orange juice
1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon honey
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all topping ingredients together. It will be clumpy and sticky.
- Spread out mixture the best you can on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for approximately 10-15 minutes. The mixture should have a nice golden color to it.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Transfer small portions to a large cutting board and chop roughly. Set aside.
- Wash the sweet potatoes and rub with oil. Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake until easily pierced with a fork (about 30-40 minutes).
- Remove from oven and allow to cool until you can handle them without burning yourself.
- Peel the potatoes and place the inside in a large mixing bowl.
- Add all other filling ingredients and mash with a potato masher or blend with a hand blender.
- Transfer the potato mixture to a serving bowl. Sprinkle the pecan topping evenly over the potatoes and serve.
Note: You'll probably have leftover topping depending on size of dish…the leftovers are great for topping oatmeal or mixing in with yogurt.