So for those of you who have never used a crock pot or don't have one...RUN, don't walk to go get one today! This is seriously my favorite appliance in my kitchen (ok...VitaMix is right on up there too). I need to do an entire series on crock pot meals because I love them so much! I'm on my 3rd one!!
Ok, back to the soup! Here's the ingredients below...everything is an "about" measurement. When I'm making soups, I really don't measure things, I just throw them in! You can't "mess up" a soup in my opinion (ok, I'm sure you can...but not the ones that I make...it's a free-for-all of whatever I have in the pantry and freezer!!). So feel free to adapt and change as you see fit!
|Ground Turkey and Rice Soup|
- 1 pound of ground turkey (browned and drained)
- chicken stock (I use "Better than Bouillon" about a tablespoon and then fill up my crockpot with water and taste as I go)
- 1/2 onion, chopped - browned in skillet
- 2-3 carrots, chopped small and browned with onion
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup of brown rice (no need to be cooked it will cook in crock pot, as it cooks a long time this gives the soup a little "thicker" consistency to it!)
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp Oregano (or more to taste)
- 1 tsp Thyme (or more to taste)
Put everything into the crock pot and cook on low for 4-6 hours or more. Top with cheese! Enjoy!