Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Costco!! They have everything, sometimes it's a better price, sometimes not, so you have to watch it. They've got super healthy stuff, but they also have super "convenient" items too! Which, convenient is good, but most of the time, convenient is not the most healthy choice!
So...how DO you get out of Costco with a HEALTHY cart-full of food? I'll share with you what a typical shopping trip for me looks like! I have a family of 5 and my kids are growing and eating a LOT!!
Here are 3 tips on how to fill your cart with healthy items at Costco:
1) Go to Costco with a List!
- If you don't have a list, you'll end up buying a LOT more items and many of those I'm sure will be unhealthy choices.
2) Don't go to Costco HUNGRY!
- This is a BIG NO-NO!!! You'll always buy the crappy food that's on sample as you go thru the isles! Just don't do it!! Eat a healthy snack before you go!
3) Enlist your children for help!
- It's just plain hard to shop ANYWHERE with your kiddos! I know...you want to be the good mom and not have to tell your kiddos NO all the time! Don't worry...they'll still love you if you do!! But...ask your kids for help! Give them jobs to do in Costco...
- Jeremy, will you please go and get the milk.
- Katelyn, will you please help me find the best looking grapes.
- Anthony, will you help me pick the best looking bread!
Be creative. Tell them ahead of time that you're going to need their help, and in return they can choose the granola bars or 1 snack item for their lunches!
Here's a list of common items I purchase from Costco (and this will probably be in the order that it shows up in the store...that's how my brain works)! Note: I would prefer to purchase everything organic, however, I try and stay on budget when shopping, so I will pick and choose my organic items. There are things I NEVER get non-organic, and some things I will rotate buying organic vs non-organic. In a perfect world I'd shop organic all the time! Everyone has to make their own decisions on organic vs non. Here's a great image below for how to categorize your organic purchases.
- Ground Turkey
- Fresh Chicken Breasts
- Pork Chops or Pork Roast
- Tomatoes (cherry and on the vine)
- Spinach (always organic)
- Kale Salad
- Brussels Sprouts
- Organic Whole Carrots
- Organic Milk
- Organic Eggs
- Greek Yogurt
- Frozen fruit & berries
- No Nitrate Lunch Meat
- Whole Grain Bread
- Cheddar Cheese
- Cottage Cheese
- Stringe Cheese
- Almond Butter
- Coconut Oil
- Diced Canned Tomatoes
- Canned Black Beans
- Marinara Sauce
- Tortilla Chips (yes we do get these)
- Kids Cliff Bars
- Fig Bars
I hope this was helpful for you as you go on your next trip to Costco! You just have to be choosy with what you purchase anywhere! It's so easy to go for convenience rather than health! If you enjoyed this post, please SHARE with your friends and follow me at www.Facebook.com/JulieLittleFitness