I will warn you, this is not your typical cake batter that you would expect. I did have concerns that it would cook up properly as I was going through, so just know there is going to be some separation when you're mixing the honey, butter and eggs...this was normal (at least in my preparation)...however it did turn out just fine!!
I did have to add a considerable amount of time for cooking. It called for 25-30 minutes and I probably cooked it for closer to 40-45 minutes. It was still very moist and absolutely delicious!
Vanilla Cake with Chocolate Frosting (Taken from the Fixate Cookbook)
Serves: 12 (one slice each) Prep Time: 20 min. Cooking Time: 30 Min
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted organic grass-fed butter (divided use)
- 1 cup raw honey (or maple syrup) divided use
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup + 3 tbsp. unsweetened almond milk, divided use
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup organic unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Coat a 9 inch round baking pan with spray. Set aside.
- Combine almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl; mix well. Set aside.
- Cream together 1/2 cup butter and 3/4 cup honey in a medium mixing bowl; beat on medium speed for 1 minute.
- Add eggs one at a time; beat until blended.
- Add 1/4 cup almond milk and extract; beat until blended.
- Add almond flour mixture to butter mixture; beat until creamy.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes (mine took closer to 40-45 minutes)
- Whip remaining 1/4 cup butter in a medium bowl; beat on medium speed for 1 to 2 minutes, or until creamy.
- Add remaining 3 tbsp almond milk to butter; beat until well blended.
- Add cocoa powder; beat until well blended, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Slowly add remaining 1/4 cup honey while beating on medium speed. Set aside.
- Once cake is cool, evenly spread frosting; cut into 12 slices.
Container equivalents per serving:
Total Fat: 19 g
Saturated Fat: 9 g
Cholesterol: 92 mg
Sodium: 188 mg
Carbohydrates: 30 g
Fiber: 4 g
Sugars: 22 g
Protein: 6 g